Thursday, November 29, 2012

This Man by Jody Ellen Malpas

So I'll blame my book group girls again for pushing another book up the TBR, it was getting hype, people said it was awesome.  I bought said hype... note to self, do not always buy the hype.

This book follows the currently super popular young girl - kinky slightly older man trope.  Seriously, where were these rich kinky older men looking for a young girl when I was 22... oh wait, I already had a kid and was in a relationship at that point... probably not what they'd be looking for anyhow, but I digress... Also my kid is 22 and if some creepy rich guy was hitting on her like this I'd lock her in her damn room... but I digress again...

Ava O'Shea is an interior designer who is invited to do some work at The House for Jesse Ward.  She's expecting a stuffy English country gentleman when she arrives at this "hotel" in the pastoral outskirts of London.  What she gets is a young-ish hottie who is instantly smitten with her.

We are sucked in to their very tumultuous relationship.

Jesse Ward makes Christian Grey look like a well adjusted, mentally stable, productive member of society, who was a boy scout and helps old ladies across the street.  Seriously the man raises sociopathic stalker boyfriend to a whole new level.  I just kept yelling in my head Run Ava, Run.

But Ava didn't listen to me, nope, and she just got deeper and deeper into it with Jesse. Seriously, how many times do those things have to go missing from your purse before you put 2 and 2 together and come up with something other than chair?   There's a saying, "Don't stick your dick in crazy"  the reverse is also true and Ava should have headed that warning.

I loved and hated this book, and there is a sequel coming (actually 2), which I will read because I'm a series whore, but I will do it begrudgingly.

It was an OK read, but there are better books in the trope and this one didn't live up to the hype.

You can walk slowly, to your bookseller of choice if you're interested in this one, or ask a friend to loan it to you as it's actually a loan-able book, at least through Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment